Saturday, May 22, 2010

Delicious Roasted Beets

Image via Southern Living This image is slightly different from what I describe below, I used green onions instead of red onion!

I have always loved beets, but until recently I had never tried to make them myself. After a quick search at my "go to" foodnetwork, I realized that it was actually quite easy. While its not great for a weeknight dinner, because they need to cook for 45 min to an hour, then rest for 10-15 minutes before you peel them. I don't know about you, but I usually don't get home till almost 7, and eating dinner at 8:30 doesn't work for me, but if you make them ahead they are just as good cold.

The first time I made them, I had them simply with goat cheese, a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. It was quite tasty and very easy. Then, Thursday night I went to Bar Jules, a fabulous restaurant in Hayes Valley. It is a small restaurant and the menu changes daily according to fresh local foods. I have been there twice and each time it has been DELICIOUS! Thursday, I started with a butter lettuce salad with green onions, golden beets and avocado. It was so good, I decided I had to make it myself.

I bought golden and red beets. To roast them, pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly coat the beets in olive oil, and a little bit of salt and pepper. Wrap them in tinfoil and place them on a baking sheet. Roast them for 45-60 minutes. Pull them out and check if a knife goes easily through, they are done. Be sure to check smaller ones after 45 minutes. Once you remove them from the oven, let them rest for 10-15 minutes, as this makes them easier to handle and remove the skin. I use a spoon to peel the skin off and then slice then into wedges.

I bought a spring mix, and next time I would definitely stick with the butter lettuce. I made a quick sherry vinegar- olive oil, sherry vinegar, dijon, salt and pepper, and tossed it with the lettuce, avocado and green onions, then placed the beets around. It was delicious, I quickly grilled a center cut boneless pork chop and dinner was served!

No comments:

Post a Comment